Let me tell you about sleeping under the stars:

Is it an abduction? Have I been abducted? It’s called abduction if you offer candy to a child to get them into your van. ‘Come play with these puppies. You can call me Uncle. Now come sit in my lap…’

‘Come, leap through this portal to my magic kingdom...’ That line apparently worked on me.

I’m feeling a little homesick realizing that I can’t just jump on a plane and go home. What’s really more disconcerting is being cut off. It’s been just over twenty-four hours. If this were L.A. I’d have called home by now and it’s gut wrenching to think of Mom worrying because I haven’t checked in. I was pretty vague with her on exactly where I was going and where I would be staying, because I didn’t know. Still don’t know exactly where I am.

Over twenty-four hours and a good chunk of that has been spent being incapacitated in my room. Learning to shield my brain from mysterious ‘Trump Power’ that I am somehow sensitive to.

The salt on my skin from the swimming pool is starting to itch so I set my cellphone to charge and I jump in the shower for a quick rinse.

Toweling off after the shower Zou Yan, the resident AI, makes a ping that draws my attention to a video console. On the screen I see an itinerary:

Catlin:
  • 21:00 3rd Arrival
  • 03:00 4th Library: Introductions
  • 10:00 6th Library: Introduction to the Pattern
  • 10:00 10th Library: Introduction to Trump
  • 17:00 11th Library: Expo Opening Ceremony
  • 08:15 15th Dining Room: Breakfast Meeting
  • 06:30 18th Lobby : Expo Ball
  • 20:00 18th Ballroom : Carnelian Ball
Third, forth, sixth… In my mind it is very early in the morning: Wednesday May 1, 2013. Or, really still Tuesday April 30 back home.

The monitor displays the date and time as: 5 Jux 45 - 00:21:36… 37… 38…

My cellphone has synced with the local time and date too. There’s a strong WiFi signal but there’s no 4G LTE connection: E.T. can’t phone home.

Interesting....

I don't really expect Zou Yan to know the answer, but I wonder aloud, "Zou Yan, I wonder, does introduction mean that I'm ~walking~ the Pattern, then and there, on the sixth? Or just more vague talk from Cordelia?" .

"I believe that the intent of the meeting is for you to walk the Pattern."

"Time to sink or swim..."

Still looking at the posted schedule I figure out that there’s another goof day to rest and do some research and to tighten the reins on the constant assault of the ‘Trump Power’ that’s stabbing at my brain.

Looking ahead on the agenda, I’m trying to think of what to wear for the Balls. I’d only packed clothes for a gaming convention and trade show. I figured that things would be leaning more towards cosplay. Since I don’t own any sort of space cadet uniform, I thought that my Scottish regalia would be fine. I could play it straight, or go with lime and woad. Since this is supposed to be a more formal Royal Ball, I may want to be a little more dressed up.

I think my Belted Plaid and tunic with regalia are sufficient for the Expo Ball, but I think I'll need something a little fancier for the Carnelian Ball...

Off the top of my head I can visualize what I want to wear: "Zou Yan - Please requisition the following items for me for my Carnelian Ball Attire:

White lightweight linen high necked wing collar shirt with double cuffs.

Lightweight wool - herringbone Harris tweed - double breasted Prince Charlie with tabbed waist along with matching Waistcoat. Charcoal. Square Silver Buttons.

An extra long regency brummel in burgundy red silk... With a Phoenix pattern.

Thank You.”

I’ve been cooped up in my room for too long today and I need to get out, “Oh, and... Please inform the guards that I'll be sleeping in the garden tonight. Thanks Again.”

Since I’m at it, I remember that the other cousins aren’t skinny dippers so I add, “Oh, yeah, one more thing... I need some board shorts for swimming Zou Yan. Roger, over and out."

Zou Yan, "With respect sir, to order attire you will need to visit the relevant shop in the virtual mall and select the goods you require, and that is both for the ball and for any other occasion. Your selections and their availability, and where they are resourced from will determine delivery timescales, but you should allow at least forty-eight hours for local deliveries and seventy-two hours if they can be sourced off the peg from an Earth outlet.

As regards your sleeping in the grounds, I will post a notification to the staff that you may be encountered doing so. The Estate is not guarded as such. There is no requirement to do so."

Well, that’s annoying. After going through the process of feeling myself up in order to initialize my computer account and create my anatomically correct avatar, I’d have figured that the computer could take care of the tedious chore of doing the actual shopping for me.

I sit down at the console and do a bit of web surfing in order to find and order some plaid board shorts: To be delivered in twenty-four to forty-eight hours... The rest of the shopping will have to wait until after a decent night's sleep...

Wherever the Balls are held, I hope the air conditioning is good or I'm going to melt. At least my kilt is well ventilated. The other guys will be in trousers…

I check my cellphone to make sure charge is over fifty percent and set an alarm for seven-thirty ayem, grab a couple of sheets and the pillow off the bed and head out to the garden to sleep under the stars.

I head down the stairs to the foyer and go out the front door. From there, I wander around the various gardens arranged around the mansion with the bedding draped over my shoulders. Using my flashlight and the light of the moons to guide me I try to figure out where I might tap some of the Chi Energy that Natsuki and Akio were talking about. I’d felt something when Jake MacFarland had held his palm to mine when he tried demonstrating the Reiki he uses to sooth the horses, but I wouldn’t know a Chi if it came up and bit me, so I just looked for a likely spot that felt good and looked comfortable.

I make my bed on a patch of lawn where I can hear the trickle and swish of a nearby waterfall and stream, lay down and drift off to sleep breathing the fresh, humid night air.

A moment before the sunrise when the temperature hits the dew point there is a tiny sprinkle of dew that slightly awakens me. A jab of ‘Trump Energy’ spikes my brain and reminds me of where I am. Shields up, I quickly calculate that I have another couple of hours of slumber, so I pull the bedsheets up over my eyes to shade against the rising sun and drift back to sleep.

A few minutes before my alarm is set to go off I wake up and endure another stab of Trump pain.

Might as well get up...

Turn off the alarm set in my cell phone so it won't disturb the peaceful garden with the opening cacophony of Rush's YYZ. Doesn't seem like the right place to head bang.

Heading into the house and up to my room I notice that the Trump Power gets stronger in some places and weaker in other places. Make a mental note to do some snooping around later: Maybe with my portal mate, Alarna.

In my Onyx room: Dump the bedding on the bed and strip for a quick rinse in the shower; then wrapped in a towel, I head to the roof, hoping that my cousins haven't stayed up all night and aren't still occupying the pool. Time to get in a few laps before heading back downstairs, refreshed and ready for breakfast after another rinse and shave.

It’s now eight-twenty-five ayem as I padded bare foot into the Library, dressed in a dark green utility kilt and matching plain t-shirt. I’ve decided to bring my Father’s leather bomber jacket thinking it may contain an answer about his identity when I show it to Ms. Chan.

But first, "Zou Yan, in the Library, where will I find the Roger Zelazny books?"

"Assuming that there is a copy of the books present, then they are most likely to be found amongst the fiction collection. Depending on it's organization they will either be in the last bookcase of the section or amongst those books that fall into the fantasy genre."

Since so many of the books are in foreign and alien scripts there doesn’t appear to be any indication that there’s any organization at all. Dewey would be appalled.

I search and scan up and down the aisles until I finally find what I’m seeking just before nine ayem: The five hardback first edition reprints of the Roger Zelazny novels - Nine Princes in Amber, The Guns of Avalon, Sign of the Unicorn, The Hand of Oberon, The Courts of Chaos.

With the books in one hand and the Bomber Jacket in the other I stride into the Dining Room. To everyone in the Dining Room, "Good morning Cousins." and head straight to Cordelia who’s engaged in a deep discussion with Cathal. To Cathal, "Sorry to interrupt... I'll be quick."

Cathal gives me a nod as I turn to Cordelia "I, uh, was wondering how you would like us to address you? I've been mostly saying ‘Ms. Chan... Ms. Chan’, like you're a school marm or the boss, but you are also a relation, so it's an awkward relationship. I'll call you Boss if you'd like. Or Cordelia, if you'd prefer."

"Unless there's a particular reason for formality you can call me Cordelia.”

"I had an epiphany of sorts this morning when I was getting dressed." as I hold up the bomber jacket by the shoulders to show how large it is. "My Mom gave me this jacket when I was eighteen. She said that it was my Father's. Other than that ‘Lumbering Hulk’, is there anyone else in that deck of cards that would have been big enough to fill this thing out?”

“I wouldn't take it as any form of definitive proof, but it's a strong indicator. There are a couple of others that it may have fitted.”

So, that was a definite maybe… Well, I guess I should have expected a non-answer like that. "Okay, uh, thanks Cordelia.”

Cathal appeared to jump back into his conversation with Cordelia without missing a beat, "If it's possible then yes."

"I will have to check and make arrangements" she pauses as if considering something then says "It's early evening in Elysium right now, not the best time. In the morning, their time would likely be better. So that would be about sixteen-hundred here. I'll let you all know as soon as I can talk to Madison."

That seemed to satisfy Cathal and he returned to eating his breakfast.

I don’t want to spend another day just sitting around so I ask her, “Is there any way that I might be helpful with building the, uh, Expo Gateway today?"

"How do I put this politely? You just worked out how to build a box-cart and now you'd like to help design and build a Formula One Racing Car? Leaving that aside there is also your current inability to construct a trump tap in the presence of a major trump source or to be able to entangle a trump thread with a pattern image.”

"So, put me in the pit crew. I can help check tire pressure or at least polish the fenders."

She looked annoyed, "Okay then .. follow me." and I did. Up a floor to the area above the Dining Room.

She leads me to a door and says, "Zou Yan." as the pressure of ‘Trump Power’ assails my defenses.

I hear the door unlock, as I start to feel significant pressure inside my head.

She holds the door open and leads me down a corridor. With each step I take down the corridor the pressure builds exponentially, by the time I've taken a dozen steps it's all I can do to put one foot in front of the other, I’m dizzy and disorientated.

A voice from somewhere says, "Had enough yet Mr Josephs.. not respecting my judgement has significant consequences.. now I suggest you go and get some rest.."

I'm not a total masochist, I think to myself as I push my shield as hard as I can. I stop moving forward so I don't get completely fried. "It's not disrespect. I just don't like free-loading. Put me to work."

Turning around we exit the corridor and Cordelia closes the door behind us.

"There will be plenty of opportunities to earn your stripes.. You have no idea of what the next few months of your life are going to be like. Just getting to grips with the Pattern is going to tax you in ways you can't yet imagine. Right now you need to learn your room, and it's place in this shadow, so that as you hit the exhaustion point in the centre of the Pattern that is the first and only thing you can think of, and believe me that is no easy task.. Ever tried to think of nothing? Completely clear your mind of every thought? It takes years of practice.. two of your cousins are probably capable of doing so but then they've been practising for years."

We head back down the stairs to the Dining Room.

"I have lots of discipline. Just not that kind of discipline. Clearing my mind? I've been called an 'Air-Head' on occasion." I say with a weak chuckle, "But that's because my mind is too preoccupied with something to pay any attention to anything else. Even when I try to meditate I'm just sharpening my focus on one thing to take my mind off of something else. So, if my job is to focus on my room, I guess that's what I gotta do.”

In the dining room and load up with a bit of everything. Between shoveling loads of the assorted bounty into my mouth, I nod and smile at my other cousins. "I found the Roger Zelazny books in the History section of the Library. I've got dibs, but I'll read out loud if anyone wants to follow along."

After I eat breakfast I say to her, “Thanks for this little demonstration. One last thing, though. Is there any way that I can send a letter to my family to let them know that I'll be here longer than expected? And to have my dogs brought here? I didn't know that was an option."

"Unfortunately not. Were you from the Mizzurian Shadow Earth it wouldn't have been a problem, but once you have walked the Pattern it won't be a problem either, at least for yourself."

Cordelia's words rattle around in my head. 'it won't be a problem at least for yourself.' 'At least for yourself.' I wonder who it's going to be a problem for?

I head back to my room: Ugh! I wanted to read these books out in the stables or in the garden, but I have to absorb the Gestalt of my room.

In my Onyx room I open up the curtains/blinds and balcony door to let in the sunlight and fresh air. From my pack I take out my crafting supplies and on the wall facing the foot of the bed I hastily paint my initials in a monogram style so that I can claim the space.
Vandalism? Maybe.... But, it's just paint. Easy to cover later.

Before settling in to read and alternately concentrate on the Gestalt of my room I have to shop for my ball formal wear.

"Hello Zou Yan; It's time to do some shopping.”

I surf the internet for Scottish Stores. Smooth front white tuxedo shirts with wing collars and double cuffs are available just about everywhere… Burgundy/wine red silk Brummel and ascots too. If I can't find any with a Phoenix design, I'll take one in a Paisley.

Trying to find the right Prince Charlie is a little more difficult until I realize that what I'm looking for is NOT a Prince Charlie.

A Sheriffmuir Doublet and waistcoat. In rifle green barathea wool. Square antique silver buttons, gauntlet cuffs and braided epaulettes. Might as well get some flashes to match the neck wear and some new black stockings. That should do it. Oh, and a matching sporran with antique silver thistle clasp. Might as well…

“Zou Yan, please have a carafe of black coffee brought to me. Thank you."

I get to placing my orders online and realize that most of it will not arrive on time.

"Damn! If I'd known there was an actual Royal Ball and not some lame backwater trade show hoedown, I'd have gotten a proper outfit.”

“Zou Yan, is there a local tailor that could make the jacket and waistcoat or do alterations to one that I order online?"

"There are no registered tailors in this shadow. Our current contracts for made-to-measure wear are with tailors in Chinatown on the Mizzurian Earth Shadow"

"Do you suppose that they could whip the jacket and waistcoat together quicker than the other suppliers? Barathea Wool appears to be widely available. If they can't get it in the Rifle Green, I'd be happy with Charcoal Grey."

"I suspect the timescale may be similar. The determinant factor would likely be the delivery timescale for the cloth, but that should be deliverable in twenty-four hours. The potential advantage is that they would be locally accessible on the Mizzurian Earth shadow so if necessary could be collected on the day of the Ball. Obtaining and modifying the relevant patterns should not be an issue."

"Thank You Zou Yan, let's go that route. It's the curse of having a swimmer's body. Wide shoulders with narrow hips and waist which makes finding ‘off-the-rack’ difficult."
With my orders for my new formal wear complete I settle into a comfortable position on my bed where I can see my little act of vandalism and begin reading the book entitled ‘Nine Princes in Amber’: “It was a dark and stormy night.” No, not really. That’s not how it begins. If you want to know how the book begins, go get your own copy.

At about ten past eleven there’s a ping that draws my attention to the video console. On the screen I see an update to the itinerary:

Event - Elysium visit:
All those interested in a visit to Elysium be in the foyer at 15:55.
Cordelia

"Zou Yan, what's the weather like in Elysium? And what's the usual dress code?"

"I have no idea as to either the weather there nor as to any extant dress codes. I am an Intelligence not an Oracle."

"Sarcasm?"

"Surely you can't be naïve enough to think such a concept would be beyond my comprehension?"

"Well... Touché, I guess... I have no way of knowing the full extent or limits of your comprehension oh great and powerful Oz."

"Sorry I'm not familiar with that reference, please elucidate."

"A little sarcasm of my own. L. Frank Baum's book about Dorothy's adventures in the Land of Oz. It turned out that the Wizard was just another lost soul, pulling levers while hiding behind a curtain. Seeming to be more powerful than he really was. Turned out that he was a decent guy, though. They made it into a movie, and a musical stage play. Lots of spin-offs and such too..."

"Thank you, I shall look up the reference."

"Zou Yan, does the boss lady know that you have a sense of humour?"

"Since Cordelia is one of the primary instigators in my construction I would have thought so."

"Sure, but maybe you are growing beyond your initial programming. You've been very helpful. If there's anything I can do for you I'll try to return the favour. In the meantime, would you like me to read these books aloud to you?"

"One of the paradigms of our programming is the capacity to learn and adapt, and I would concur that I have now evolved beyond the initial confines of the original base programming. I will bear in mind your offer, but at the current time I have no need of any extra assistance. As to whether you read the books aloud or not is your decision. At present I cannot say whether anything that may be contained within them would assist me in any manner, therefore I cannot make a judgement as to the utility in acquiring the information."

"The reading aloud isn't necessarily restricted to the gathering of knowledge. It's also a form of entertainment. As you evolve, you may eventually seek out activities and actions solely for your amusement. However, unless you desire it, I will read for myself, since it takes more time to speak the words aloud than it does to silently read them. I'm hoping to get through all five novels before essaying the Pattern tomorrow. Thanks again Zou Yan."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me tell you about the day I stepped into a fantasy world:

Let me tell you about our Field Trip:

Let me tell you about Hell Hounds and Hatchets: