Don’t call me Dirk’skin-doo

Having convinced the shop teachers to allow me to build a coal fired forge for casting and shaping parts for my tractor project, I got creative and made a few things for myself. I had learned some techniques from the Ferrier, Jake MacFarland, who shods the horses on the farm and did other wrought iron and steel work. I also pulled books from the library and watched many how-to and DIY videos available on the internet to learn how to forge steel into tools.

My Mom’s sister, my Aunt Cait, learned Cordwaining from their father, my grandfather. She has taken over the family bespoke shoemaking store and has a need for various skiving knives, welting pliers, needles, hammers and other specialized shoe making tools.

Making small blades that are hardened to hold a keen edge is something I worked very diligently on. As I got better at it, I made myself a pen knife with a nice red oak handle. Then a bigger Multi-Tool with plier, wire clipper, an assortment of blades and screw-driver tips.

The next year, having become a Kilt wearing Celtophile, my largest blade project was a Scottish Dirk with the matching traditional cutlery. It’s got a 330mm blade of Damascus Steel. I also made a matching Sgian-dubh.

For sport, I also banged out a dozen Hurlbats from spring steel for Hank and I to toss around, at targets: Not each other!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Utility of Kiltz:

Let me tell you about Hell Hounds and Hatchets:

Let me tell you about the day I stepped into a fantasy world: